1. Find a metaphor: percolating, steeping, fermenting.
2. Consult your horoscope: “Your sixth sense is right on target, Cancer, so trust your instincts today. Stay close to those things that resonate strongly with your morals. The answer is in front of you; you don’t have to search too far afield in order to find it.”
3. One more cup of coffee.
4. This is why Internet rabbit holes were invented.
5. Chores appear oddly compelling.
6. Cognitive reframing: I am not procrastinating. I am seeking the missing piece of the puzzle.
7. Device distraction: Twitter, Netflix, Stitcher, Facebook, Kindle.
8. What’s that out the window?
9. More cognitive reframing: “Procrastination is a sign of the perfectionist.”
10. I see dirt I’ve never noticed before. It bothers me.
11. The buzz of an incoming text message.
12. A sock drawer cries out for a Marie Kondo tidying up.
13. Perhaps a short nap first.