I love being a person who easily finds joy in lots of things. Sometimes I feel like a perpetual toddler–eyes wide to take in the dazzling world, unreasonably pleased by all the small things. Here are a few things that have brought me joy lately:
- The astonishing colors and patterns of tree bark
- How bright and silent the city is after fresh snow
- The vanilla cupcake smell of my favorite cat Chipotle (to be fair, everyone else says he smells like a cat but I always catch notes of vanilla cupcake when he leans against me)
- Finding a book I was just thinking about buying already on my shelf
- Checking off the last item on my to-do list
- Extra ice in an iced coffee
- Completing the daily Wordle
- Jorts the Cat
- The bursts of color that Detroit’s many murals provide in winter
- A collage of old stamps on a new letter from a penpal
What small things are bringing you joy?
My theme for Slice of Life 2022 is finding inspiration in the writing of others. Each day I plan to find my slice in someone else’s words or forms. Today, I was struck by the wonderful observation of a seven-year-old in a post from Megan’s Mindful Minute: “Well, you do find joy in lots of things.” What a high compliment! Be sure to visit Megan’s blog and discover some of her “small joys.” Thanks for the inspiration to write today!
Leave a Reply